My Mountain Trail

Starting From Scratch

Thursday, May 28, 2009

148/365 - Fog Line


148/365 - Fog Line, originally uploaded by panodanno.

This morning it was 46 degrees, very foggy, and the wind was blowing 12-15 mph. That means that there is lots of what I call "fog rain" under all the trees. Fog rain feels like real rain -- just to be clear.

Those are not fun cycling conditions, and it is even harder to get out there after spending 6.5 hours riding to/from work over the previous two days. I knew it would be warmer once I got above the fog, I just wasn't too excited about getting there.

After 500' of climbing I hit the fog line. Then, another 500' and it was 70 degrees with just a light breeze. Ah, Paradise again! This was the view before I dropped off the ridge back into the 50 degree fog.

There was lots of fog rain, it was cold, it was warm. It was a great ride.

Last night we dropped Lori's car off for service, so after work I rode over to pick it up. It saved me 12 miles and 2500' of climbing. I can't say that I needed the break, but I didn't compain either.

So, 132 miles of riding, about 14,000' of climbing, and most importantly, 9 hours of saddle time these last three days. Am I ready for OKFree? Probably not, but I'm going to survive.

Good news (sort of) today. My Memphis client changed our timeline. This means I don't have to travel next week. At least not to Memphis. Anyway, it also means I can travel to OK from home. This will be much better for us here, and lowers the risk of problems (due to misconnects) on the OK end. Cool.

Can't wait for some heat and humidity. I hope OK doesn't let us down! :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dan,

My name is Joel Ackerman. I'm currently writing a documentary for BYU-TV (associated with Brigham Young University) about a Colonel on General MacArthur's staff in WWII: Pete Grimm, a man who grew up in San Francisco and was a member of an Alpine Club that frequently took him into the Muir Woods and to Mt. Tamalpais.

Later this month we will be going to San Francisco and will be going to these places to shoot b-roll. From your blog it appears you know Mt. Tamalpais very well. Your photographs are beautiful, and it seems you would know where and when to go. Would you be willing to share some of that knowledge with us? As a small university production for educational, not commercial, purposes we couldn't pay you anything, but any help you'd be willing to offer would be greatly appreciated. And you certainly would be thanked and credited in the film if that means anything to you.

Please call me at my office phone number 801-422-6248 or email me at grimm.doc@gmail.com if you'd be willing to help.

Thanks,
Joel Ackerman