My Mountain Trail

Starting From Scratch

Monday, September 22, 2008

Jwaneng

Honk!
Today we took flight from Gaborone and returned to Jwaneng. We toured the mine (it's big) and had more meetings. It was an early start (5:00 a.m.) and didn't end until 7:30 p.m. with a dinner of rice and goat. I think this was my first goat. The seasoning was good, but the meat was mostly bones. Oh well, I had to try it. I certainly wouldn't avoid it in the future, but I could sure do with a grilled tri-tip right about now.

This evening after our last meeting at the Jwaneng hospital (to talk with them about their nursing schedule), my host had a medical emergency in the hospital. Basically, for no good reason, he just passed out while a physical therapist was looking at a finger he injured playing touch rugby. His blood pressure dropped through the floor, and he couldn't really move, though he could talk some -- he said afterwards that he didn't know where he was or who we were though. He ended up spending some time in the emergency ward while they gave him an I.V. Pretty scary, but he seems to be okay now.

On a lighter note, the goose above is from yesterday's morning walk around the golf course. Plus, I saw some warthogs last night on the golf course. I was out running, so I didn't have my camera with me. These hogs had some tusks, let me tell you! They took off when I went running by and I didn't see them again on my second lap. So, my wild animal count is up to 2 monkeys, a bunch of baboons, some warthogs, and birds of course. Tomorrow I think we will tour the Jwaneng Game Park. I think they have some giraffes, but I'm not sure what else is out there. I'll let you know!

No comments: