My Mountain Trail

Starting From Scratch

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Powering Botswana

This is a quick photo and post to tell you what it takes to get your
power connected in Botswana. You will need two possible adapters. One
is the South African standard 3-prong, round electrode adapter. The
other is a South African round plug to square plug adapter. Why do you
need both? Because, depending on where you are, you will need either a
round plug or a square plug. My combination is a U.S. to SA adapter,
and then a round to square adapter. It works, but it's a bit clunky if
you ask me. Now you know.

Oh yeah, and as far as internet connections go, it's pretty hit-or-miss.
I stayed at the golf resort, where I had a connection to their network,
but the password to give me full access didn't work. The second one
didn't either. Fortunately I had access to gmail so I could at least
keep up with email. In Jwaneng I had access through the company, but
their network was down the second night in the company lodging. Tonight
I returned to Gaborone and I am staying in one of the nicest hotels in
town (The Grand Palm). I can't even get a login request from the
system. I called for help, they said they would call back. Nope, no
call back.

Oh yeah, the golf resort at Phakalane charges a minimum of $30 (210
pula) for internet access for two days. Nothing less. The Grand Palm
charges by the hour or for longer increments. One hour is 49 pula which
is a bit more than $7. At least I had the choice.

I notice that RIM has a Blackberry system in town that offers 3G access.
As the popularity grows, the amount of internet they sell at these
hotels is going to plummet. In the States, I will never pay a hotel for
internet access again thanks to my friends at RIM. Here, I pay the fees
under protest - even when the client is willing to pay them, as they are
here.

Ah well, time for bed. I will post this from work tomorrow...

2 comments:

Hal said...

Dan,

The proverbial square peg/round hole problem. I am sure you're smart enough to figure it out. Are you strong enough to carry all that hardware halfway around the world?

Amber wants to know,"What's Botswana? Actually, we need to see a "clear" photo of you in Botswana. Your pictures are so good that we think you're lifting them off some stock photo sight and sitting on Mt. Tamalpais publishing them at will.

I hope you're having a good time. I truly enjoy travaling over-seas but am always glad to get back on American soil. God bless and be careful.

Hal

Mt. Tamalpais Woodworks said...

Hi Amber and Hal!

Check out today's post! You will see that I am indeed in Botswana!

Dan