My Mountain Trail

Starting From Scratch

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

OKFree Feedback

Ah well, my last post has generated some dialog. A couple of emails, a comment here, a few replies on the OKFree forum. None of it negative. Just some explainin'.

I'm not trying to stir anything up. I'm just saying, a little bit of information is valuable, and I offered it up to the group.

Jason points out that the roads will be back roads, not state highways. Moni says I don't have the real route -- I thought I had mentioned that. Larry tells me he doesn't always follow the route anyway, so just have some fun.

All I was saying was, if I gave you a list of towns for my new ride, the California Cassette, like this: Yreka, Bartle, Old Station, Twain, Oroville, Auburn, Twin Bridges, and Gardnerville (in Nevada), you would be pretty interested to see where they are. (Even I didn't know where all of these towns were, so if you already do, go to the head of the class). Of course, in California you would have some serious hills to worry about, so seeing where the towns are adds to the value -- not as big of an issue in Oklahoma. Still even if the routes aren't fully worked out, seeing the towns on a map would be useful. Just to prove it, let me take 10 minutes and make the connections:


View Larger Map

Now we know some things. We are starting on the far northern border and finishing in Nevada near Lake Tahoe. We're riding in the foothills and the mountains for a lot of the ride. Plus the fun of the flats in the Sacramento Valley. And if you click on the "view larger map" link you get mileage between the towns.

Oh, but this isn't the actual route of the California Cassette. I'll let you know when I get the actual route worked out completely. In the mean time, ride some hills. That's all I'm sayin', it's information you can use.

I'm looking forward to OKFree. I think it is going to be a lot of fun. And, I connected the towns, and I think that is useful. I might even be like Larry and ride my own route even when I get my mailed package of details. See you in June! :-)

No comments: